When kindergarten is on the horizon, your child will need an eye exam and our readers are here to help
All Illinois students entering kindergarten — or entering a K-12 classroom for the first time in Illinois — must have an eye exam performed by a licensed optometrist or ophthalmologist . We recently reached out to our readers on Facebook asking for eye doctor recommendations, and again we were blown away by the fact that some families absolutely adore their optometrists (especially Dr. Oshiro-Johnson at Carle and Dr. Witt at Chittick).
We have listed eye doctors recommended by our readers as a community service. All of these doctors are optometrists, who have obtained the OD degree and who are your first stop for vision care and eye health. For the medical specialty of pediatric ophthalmology, check out this post.
Chambanamoms.com does not endorse or recommend medical professionals; all opinions expressed below are those of individual readers of chabanamoms.com.
In no particular order, here are our readers’ favorite eye doctors.
Eye Mart Express (2515, avenue N. Prospect, Champagne)
- Dr. Michael Balgemann “He is passionate about his work and exceptional. Our family of 6 has been in his care since we moved to the area 8 years ago.” “He’s great at putting my 5 year old daughter at ease and talking to her throughout. She also thinks he’s funny.
Carle in the fields (3105 Fields Drive South, Champagne)
- Dr.Greigham Hopkins
- Dr. Cherie A. Oshiro-Johnson”She is kind, laid back and works with your child and takes their feelings into consideration as well. “She found a serious problem with our 2 year old and sent us to the specialist he needed.” “Cherie Oshiro-Johnson is AMAZZZINNNGGG. 10/10 would recommend. “My 18 year old son had been with her since he was 4 “I worked for Dr. Cherie Oshiro Johnson for 5 years and I can promise you that the care and character that everyone sees when meeting her in the office is the same when she leaves the room. She is definitely living her calling as a pediatric care provider! “I think my favorite thing is that she speaks to my twins and not just me, even though they are only 2 years old.”
Chittick Family Eye Care (8 Dunlap Ct., Savoy)
- Dr Steve Leon “Dr. Leon is wonderful.
- Dr. Ryan Witt “He’s been fantastic with multiple serious vision issues with our family.” “The two children (including one who needed glasses in 1st year) immediately felt comfortable with him, he is great!” “My husband and I have also had great experiences with Dr. Witt in Chittick!” “His relationship with the children is excellent and he took the time to explain everything and answer my questions!”
Dr. Jodi Albert & Associates (308, rue S. Neil, Champagne)
- Dr Jodi Albert “Dr. Albert has been great with my kids. “And they’re doing great with the pandemic too!”
CU EyeCare (2008 Round Barn Road, Champagne)
- Dr. Lisa Heckman “Dr. Heckman sees our entire family of eyeglass wearers. One child has autism and the other has a delicate prescription and she has been wonderful with both since they were little, making sure both are on the go. comfortable during appointments and see well.
Kessler optics (44 E. Main St., Ste. 100, Champaign)
- Dr. Lawrence Kessler “He’s the best. Very thorough and professional and takes the time to get the prescription right. His staff are great too. Our whole family goes here.”
Optical Barding (907 W. Marketview Dr., #15, Champagne)
- “Bard Optical’s optometrist is very knowledgeable and helpful. They also strictly follow COVID guidelines.
Burgwald Eye Center (417 Main Street East, Mahomet) and Jones Optical (1711 S. Neil St., Champaign) — doctors travel to both locations
- Dr Kelly Sanders “We think she’s amazing!” “My kids are always happy to see Dr. Sanders.”
- Dr Erik Burgwald “I see Dr. Burgwald and he is fantastic!” “I have personally been with Dr Burgwald for years and felt his team had patience, especially with my youngest who was struggling with some of the tests.”
Champaign-Urbana Region Pediatricians | Find a dentist in the Champaign-Urbana area | Doctors for Adults in Champaign-Urbana | OB/GYN in Champaign-Urbana